Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Assignment 1

Okie day - some new stuff. These files are for our first few assignments in class. I think they're due next Wednesday (we don't have class 'cause of Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday), but I'm not sure... But what the hey! Done, right?

First is our self portraits. I didn't really know what to do for this, because I frankly draw myself all the time when I'm bored and I switch styles whenever I do it. Here are a few examples of ones I've done before (in no particular order):




The top one is me dressed in an outfit designed for a character I'm working on for a story, the second is Robo-Me or rather, FilBot, the third is a Sonic the Hedgehog version of me, the fourth is one with a more cartoony feel, the fifth is me if I had appeared in Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, the sixth is me if I was a guy (Chelsea assigned me the guy name, Filippe), the seventh is me if I was in Tron: Legacy and the last is a rough one based off Jamie Hewlett's style of the Gorillaz. I have a few more in my various sketchbooks too, but I won't bother to find and scan those in now.

But anyway, for the actual assignment, I did this one up:

This one is centered around a character I frequently use for projects that I developed a few years ago. The character wears a hoodie, purple jacket and moose hat and kills zombies with a variety of weapons, though her signature melee is a shovel. Her outfit had been based off one I had myself, including the moose hat, so for the self portrait, I decided to actually draw myself in that outfit. I went for a more... realistic style, considering the more cartoony-ish style I tend to draw in and kept it monochromatic, the colour being purple because purple's my favourite colour :D

The second half of our homework was a shapes assignment. We had to take various random shapes and make faces, animals, etc out of them and had three pages to do.



For the first page, I was just experimenting. I mainly did human faces, as I'm more familiar with them, but I doodled a few animals on there as well. As practice though, the second page I dedicated entirely to animal based faces and forms and it was a challenge. I didn't want to just do basic dogs and cats and birds and tried to find some more interesting animals in the shapes. I think that only partially succeeded, because once I found one lizard like shape, they all became lizard like shapes. The third page, I went back to human heads and found I drew some really weird shapes, so I ended up with some really weird heads (not saying some of the previous ones weren't weird themselves).

The assignment makes me think of this one exercise I learned of while at Ottawa. The director of Day and Night said he does this thing where he draws a random squiggle on a piece of paper and then sees what he can make from it. He learned it from a cartoon show where another guy had done the same thing. I do that occasionally and find it rather fun and amusing, sort of how I found this head/shape assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment